Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Inno shouuuu...

One of the arguments that usually get me scolded by my mother is saying "shou?" instead of "na3am?" sometimes. Yes, I'm 25 and I still argue with my mom over the shou/na3am use. In fact, "shou" is categorized under the insult section in our house (this is an answer to all the people who wonder why I never swear when driving). And btw, don't think it's an excuse if it accidentally slipped your mind:
- Mom, come on! I just came back from the gym. I'm all sweaty, smelly, disgusting and ready to crash down on anything! Not the shou/na3am argument!

On the other hand, stepping into the "outside world" can get confusing. I have often heard the speech that someone from long time ago used to deliver to me every time:
- "Na3am?"? mahdoumeh Eve, are you serious? What am I? the Abouna/ Father of the church?

So after all these years, I'm programmed to saying "na3am" now, bass inno how can you be Lebanese and not say "shou" wlo?!

10 Comments:

At Tuesday, June 06, 2006 11:40:00 PM, Blogger Jamal said...

yen3am 3leiki ya mhathabe.

 
At Wednesday, June 07, 2006 12:15:00 AM, Blogger The Eyewitness said...

Lebanese with "shou" proves that miracles still exist. Take it easy, enjoy it.

 
At Wednesday, June 07, 2006 1:52:00 AM, Blogger Hashem said...

I had the same arguments with mom...and now, I say na3am in all tones....from na3am :) to a na3am?na3am? to na3aaam??
well...it's about the tone I think!
and btw, wlo is a favourite word for me...wlooooooo!

 
At Wednesday, June 07, 2006 7:58:00 AM, Blogger Lazarus said...

wait ... i think the more serious question is how can you be lebanese and NOT swear when driving?

 
At Wednesday, June 07, 2006 10:54:00 AM, Blogger linalone said...

I do agree with Lazarus ... in deed, how can you?

 
At Wednesday, June 07, 2006 7:07:00 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Jamal, that someone used to reply to me the same way :)

eyewitness,
thank you on behalf of all the lebanese ;)

Hashem, do you have to drink a cup of pure lemon every morning and evening too? :)

Lazarus & linalone,
ma ba3ref.. I guess 3endeh sheresh mish libneneh, or maybe im adopted from another country? ;)

 
At Thursday, June 08, 2006 5:41:00 AM, Blogger nour said...

it has always been a big issue with my dad also: "shou is impolite"..
nowadays, i use them all "shou [rarely], na3am, 3afwan [after i came to dubai, and i dunno the reason!!] and the sarcastic one is KIF YA3NEH.."

 
At Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:57:00 AM, Blogger Hashem said...

well, Eve, she tried, but I categorically refused...3ada 3an el egg kel sobo7, and a long list....she kinda gave up at the end...:)

 
At Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:54:00 AM, Blogger Nour said...

At our home b2a the "Na3am" is the impolite thing to say.. we have 2 say "Afandem".. cultural differneces b2a ya Evo.. loool :D

 
At Thursday, June 08, 2006 12:29:00 PM, Blogger Angelus said...

enfin, une femme ui aime faire de la moto, moi j'adore cela, seul inconvénient..... les mouches dans les dents

 

Post a Comment

<< Home