Saturday, November 05, 2005

My Roomie!

It's been around four years since I last met her, but lately I'm getting the chance of watching her every night on the 8:00 news. I didn't believe it at first: "Is this really her? Is this reporter on LBC really my roommate?" Not only that, she lately became a well-known reporter, after a report she did on the arm-smuggling case, on the Lebanese-Syrian borders, where she had to cross a river to reach the man standing on the other side. I watched it by chance, but also read an article criticizing her, and caught the last episode of "Basmet Watan", where they made fun of the unusual situation. I'm so proud of you, Roomie! I cannot but remember our famous pillow fights at the dorm, our fortune-telling sessions, and our constant falls off the tiny beds we had there. Ya 3ammeh, those were the days! I even still have that calendar-like banner where we had written all of our crazy thoughts for that year. I remember it was the "Sixth-Sense" and the "Random-Hearts" year. I also remember how the evil me used to wake her up at night, complaining: "stop snoring", while she would wake me up, saying: "stop moaning, or screaming" Yep, we go way back, me and my nightmares… Anyway, of course, our ways got separated years ago, and each one of us had led her own separate life ever since. Don't ask me why, but I guess this is just how it goes. The only thing left is these sweet memories, and the story of the day she called me, right after my college year ended and I went back to the South: "Eve, I cannot stand the sight of these empty closets, and this well-arranged bed!"

Today, we met online, something which had never practically happened before. It turned out we both are on the right track, concerning the fulfillment of our dreams, work wise. However, moving to the juicy topics, the funny thing is that both the guys we dated back then, fell in love with, and stayed awake talking about, are now married. She also discovered N. is today married and pregnant, A. is engaged and Na. is on her way to. The good thing is that the two of us haven’t succumbed to this plague yet.

Life is strange 3an jad: there is some wisdom about the people who cross our path, at a certain age. There is some wisdom about the coincidences, which aren't really coincidences; about the things that are meant to happen, but don't eventually; about the dreams we build, then lose at the expense of greater dreams. But maybe we're not meant to understand the essence of the ambiguity just yet. So wait ya Eve, wait a little longer...

5 Comments:

At Saturday, November 05, 2005 12:48:00 PM, Blogger Xylocaine said...

Please read 'the alchemist' if you haven't...life is but a great coincidence...you'll be surprised of what it brings at times...in my case it has all been positive...it's also related to theory of causality...one thing leading to the other...or the "Butterfly Effect"...things happen the way they should eventually!;)

 
At Saturday, November 05, 2005 1:59:00 PM, Blogger Wonderer said...

Hi Eve,
First time on your blog:)
It is really a strange coincidences to see her on TV and then to meet her online. Maybe it is a sign not to damp this relation cause true friends are very rare these days.

 
At Saturday, November 05, 2005 8:15:00 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Xycolaine, yeah, I read it. I was fascinated by it at the time. I agree with you. To me, coincidences are more like hidden signs that I enjoy picking.

Wonderer,
ya hala fikeh, nawwarti :)
yes it is. but the greater coincidence is that we ended up as roommates four or five years earlier. I mean "her" in particular, and not anyone else. and I'm not just talking about my roommate, I'm talking about every other person you meet in this strange hazardous way. You get the feeling that if you did one small step other than the way you had done it in the first place, you might have not met some people who had affected you in so many ways... creepy, if you ask me.

 
At Friday, November 18, 2005 1:51:00 PM, Blogger BeeJ said...

Eve, I recommend you read 'Fooled by Randomness' by Nassim Taleb. It adresses the role, impact, and human perception of randomness and chance in life. Here's the link to Amazon if you don't find it in Beirut:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0812975219/102-0450669-7460140?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

I recommend you take a look inside the book because the comments and title make it sound like its an investment guide, but it is not.

 
At Friday, November 18, 2005 1:52:00 PM, Blogger BeeJ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home