Monday, January 16, 2006

Elisabethtown

I have one word for you: Elisabethtown!

A must-see movie:
Not because it's another romantic-comedy, forgotten-in-60-minutes movie (It's not);
Not because Orlando Bloom looks cute in it (He does);
Not because Kristen Dunst's famous line is: "I'm going to miss your lips. And everything attached to them";
Not because it's filled with symbols and hints (my favorite)…

Ya3neh… for the whole package and more. It's a movie about not letting fiascos keep you from living. It's about road trips, maps, a girl with red hats & ashes thrown away at unexpected shrines. It's about the simple life of American country-side people… their strange habit of turning funerals into real parties, where each person remembers the deceased in his own kind of way (never really understood that… Wearing colorful clothes, laughing and singing at a funeral? Or maybe we're the ones who have fake obsequies in this side of the world? who have turned the whole process into some sort of a ritual, with tears and everything; but a ritual truly cold and unemotional from the inside? Anyway, I digress. The point is I'm very satisfied with this movie, regardless of a few slips. So, go and watch (said in a not-so-bossy tone).

Of course, there's always that awkward moment (how could there be not? Walaw!):
A scene from the movie, with loud music and shouting characters; and then there is me who is constantly asking the guy next to me: "why is doing that; what; where; how etc.?" (yes, I usually do that a lot during a movie). And of course- just as you would expect: a change in the scene; total silence… nothing breaking it but the sound of my ardent voice in the movie theatre!

Hehe, I thought that was funny moment… and the funnier was that embarrassed look on his face. plus the way he… (toooot… you're digressing again Eve… bayneh w baynkon, I heard he's blogging, and I really wouldn't want him digging into this blog anytime soon).

Anyway, yalla, I'll call it a night… It looks like I'm paying this blog a lot of visits, lately. I better get out of my head the idea that I'm talking talking while nobody is reading; or else I'll end up saying things I shouldn't… really… say :p. oops, here we go again! Ok, so this is not mysteriouseve, but it's calmer enough for me to babble about nothing and everything. The truth is, for some reason, I've been avoiding mysteriouseve for some time. I'm a little tired, I guess. Yalla, we'll see how things go.

13 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:49:00 AM, Blogger Zanzounito said...

of course, someone is alwaysreading...hey...I always ask questions in the theatre too..glad to know i am not the only one!

 
At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:07:00 AM, Blogger IronMask said...

Hmmmmmmmm,

أنا سمعت عن الساوند تراك في الفيلم
واوووووووو، مين بيتخيل كل هالمجموعة في فيلم
واحد،


:))

 
At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 12:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

u r spontaneous...

and for the record:
first thing i thought of this mornming is checking on your blog!!

...lot of people do not leave comments, u just assume "nobody is reading"..

courage, t'es vraiment... magnifique.

 
At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is always good "healthy" to forget the fact that there are people reading your blog...it makes it more genuine ya Eve..that's why we are always here.

Didn't see the movie yet, but will isa. btw my sister and another friend stopped taking me to movies, they suffered a lot from my questions during show time :(( although ya3ni they are always good questions :)

 
At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:46:00 PM, Blogger desmond said...

Hi Eve,
Interesting thoughts on the obsequies - always have a wake, a party for a funeral where people eat, drink, laugh, sing, tell stories and talk about the deceased's life. Been to more than one (including a close family member)and they are at the same time highly emotional and a lot of fun, a good way to send someone off, alternately crying for your loss and laughing with friends and family at stories about them.
Wow, you digress & I waffle...

 
At Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:07:00 PM, Blogger Jamal said...

one of those who talk during the movies, huh?!

i'm one of those who sits behind those who talk during the movie, and accidently spill grape juice on the person in front of me.

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2006 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Eve said...

Zanzounito,
apparently there is. I just remembered the days when this blog had 10 visitors as an average per day, and I guess I'm still writing on that basis. tsk tsk.. But anyway, I don't think I would have changed much :)

Ironmask,
right! the soundtrack is definitely worth noting!

Nourikov,
merciii smiyyeh, Mouah la 2ilak! and sorry I'm not going to post something for tomorrow :( poka!

Nerro,
I can't understand it either! not only do we seek knowledge perfection with these questions, but we also aim at creating an analytic perspective that maybe nobody has ever thought of it. Have they ever thought of that? we should form a club, ana w inteh w Zanzoun ;-)

Desmond, hi!
Since we're mentioning it, it always amazes me how easily they move on! maybe it's because they detach themselves from the familial cocoon at an early stage, and some of them even spend years without seeing their relatives (as it was the case in the movie).

Jamal,
Aha! so it was YOU!
the grape juice, the potatoe-ship cracking, the pop-corn... hmm, I just took notice of that in my little notebook. And I'm loading my gun... :p

 
At Wednesday, January 18, 2006 2:13:00 AM, Blogger Lazarus said...

lol. i get annoyed when people talk in the movies ... unless i'm the one talking :P

bas khalas, you've persuaded me. i'm going to watch it.

 
At Sunday, January 22, 2006 8:31:00 AM, Blogger Alia said...

I was in lebanon early this month & I was dying to attend any movie & especially this one, bas my husband disagree to join me so i didn't go .... so sad i missed

but i ended up going to Al Bosta ,,, this lebanese moveie, i like it very much, if you didn't watch it, now it's the time

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Eve said...

Lazarus,
yalla, but don't blame it on me if you didn't like it. However, do give me credit if you do :p

Alia,
yeah, I did watch "Bosta"; enjoyed the dancing scenes! it was done by caracalla btw :)
hope you enjoyed your visit to Lebanon!

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 4:24:00 AM, Blogger Zanzounito said...

My college is going to be playing this movie gratis. This best part is that it will be played outside at night in this huge lawn area.

 
At Monday, January 23, 2006 9:57:00 AM, Blogger Eve said...

Wow! I can imagine the scene Zanzoun :) don't miss it!

 
At Friday, February 03, 2006 7:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home