Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Discharging

As often, I asked the taxi driver today to play a song on the radio. After such a long day, I needed something to help me relax/escape on my way home.

"No, haram!" said the guy sitting next to him.
"Excuse me?"
And then I remembered: Islamic New Year (oh btw, yen3ad 3laykon)… Ashoura… ten mourning days, starting from today!
After that of course, I was lectured and taught a great deal about the subject. Did I look like someone who had no clue about it? Pfff, he'd be surprised. Anyway, I just let him do the talking. The last thing I needed was an argument in a taxi, at the end of the day.

Coincidently, earlier today, I had another argument with a friend over a religious matter (no, it's not "so Lebanese!", since it's not about two persons from different religions (duh!); it goes like this: leave me alone, I don't want to hear about Denmark, I don’t care, I just want to be left alone!) (euh, mood swings: I could have also said I don't care about children dying, people suffering, earthquakes etc.), at the end of which I received the following comment: "May God guide you to the right path/Allah yehdeekeh"… And in a I-pity-you tone! Argh, I call upon you, my destructive urges!

What's going on? Is this like the official day to point me out as an "infidel"? The funny thing is believers think I'm an atheist; atheists accuse me of being too much of a believer (well, I do tend to play the devil's advocate, or support the weakest of them once in a while, but even though...). Not that I care about what both parties think... Judgments!

All I wanted…
All I really wanted…
was listening to a song...

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:58:00 AM, Blogger redpepper said...

i feel you !!!
That issue about Denmark is just outragious !!! Now arabs have nothing to worry about or to be furious about except some silly little cartoons whome most havent even seen (theyre pretty funny by the way),,,here's two words : Laisse Tomber (excuse me if its grammatically incorrect, i never paid attention in french classes)..

There are much important priorities to be furious about (for example, a palestinian kid was killed yesterday cuz he was walking on the jewish side of the road!!!)

and dont get me started on Aashura!! cuz i dont want to offend anyone ....

Anyways eve ...concerning being the devils advocate ....i;m all for it ...thats what i do the whole time (even with the march 8/14 issue) ...
Remember: KEEP AGAINST.
thats the only way u wud reach any truth....thats what philosophers do ..they come up with conclusions then negate them..on out quests in life we shud always be prepared "lil shay2 wa nakidah" ..
yalla
PEACE

 
At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, i must disagree with one, the denmark thing is an important issue since it raised something terrible out of the islam: placing a bomb! well here's another thing for the west to use in accusing tha islam -arabs, eventually- of terrorism.
got the point?
oh, as for those who "bye7emlo l sellom bel 3ared" just "diré déntek el tarcha". God only knows how many lectures i get everyday!

f.

 
At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 9:13:00 AM, Blogger nour said...

ask "ابن الجيران" to play it for you..
;-)

 
At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 1:37:00 PM, Blogger Jamal said...

What happened to the golden rule of business?
The Customer is always right.

Then again I was in a cab a couple of days ago who decided to go in reverse, on the busiest street in Beirut, downhill, during rush hour, for quite a long distance(Haigazian back to the intersection at the very begining of Hamra) just to prove to a poor girl that she was wrong.

As for Ashura, I'm a little confused. Why is it a mourning period? I thought Martyrdom was something to be celebrated.

 
At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 2:18:00 PM, Blogger Eve said...

frankly, I haven't been listening to the news lately, and the only way I found out about Denmark was through reading about it in a blog. I guess what i was trying to say in my post is: even though this issue is important/deserves some attention (depends on how you look at it), I was in a I-DONT-CARE mood.

I do remember though I was outraged when some years ago, Nike released a shoe, with a symbol that looked quite like "Allah" in Arabic on it. Inno on a shoe!

However, It's interesting to see how politicians in this area were united in pulling out their ambassadors and all related measures. Sadly, the palestinian kid won't get such treatment, Neruda. Only religion have such an impact here. Religion and suppressed desires, come to think of it.

As for Ashura, I had read some books about it.. ya3neh before my mind got tainted by the commercial side of the story (this thing happens with All Eids &events aslan: you say Christmas, you picture trees & santa; easter=egg; ramadan=night tents; Ashoura=blood...) Anyway, life changes, and now I usually get an invitation to go back South, and watch the real "Haydar" in action. "Mnitsallah!", says my friend. eh, shou warana!

 
At Thursday, February 02, 2006 12:06:00 AM, Blogger IronMask said...

مابعرف ليش مفتكرة السماع لأغنية على كيفك في التاكسي مطلب كتير بسيط،
ياعمي طلبي شي طلب ممكن ولو
:P

oH LOrD :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home