Tuesday, February 14, 2006

It's Valentine!



I've been asked this question a lot lately: "What's the perfect Valentine gift?"
Ok ya shabeb, listen to me tashouf:

- First of all, what's with all these teddy bears? Do we look five or something?! Do you know what actually happens to them at our house? Thrown on the shelves; forgotten; becoming part of the décor; thrown away within a certain period of time; or given to little kids (to allow some space to other dull teddy bears)

- Secondly, thx for all the perfume bottles. I mean, really, 3azzabto 7alkon! With four women living under our roof, we rarely think of going out and buying the latest mesmerizing aroma! You got us a decade supply! So, enough with that, and… be creative for heaven's sake!

- Who said buying flowers is predictable? We love getting flowers! And I'm using the word "love" here! A woman never gets bored of them: red, white, yellow, roses, tulips, lilies, even those tiny herb-like flowers you usually see around. Most importantly, we love getting them whether for a special occasion, or just because you saw them on a regular day, and they reminded you of us (I know, this simple easy gesture is just too much to ask, but let's hope inno… ya3neh… inshallah!) Wait, wait, I'm not done here: If you really really aim to impress, make sure "she" gets the bouquet, when she's with friends or colleagues (you'll get 10 extra points for that, w fehmkon kfeyeh!)

- Now when I talked about being creative, I wasn't just talking. A gift that you have put some personal effort in doing/organizing/creating will turn you into God (for a short period of course… ya3neh until you do something and ruin the moment as usual!) Don't underestimate the power of what is usually underestimated (e.g. clichés that are no longer clichés). Yes, I'm talking about love letters, as an example... although I know this doesn’t work backwards: In fact, I once did that… even wanted my letter to look like an old parchment; so I burnt a dozen of papers using the stove fire. Could've burnt my fingers! (so not worth it!) Anyway, I went on burning papers until I had the perfect letter with burnt edges, and the perfect ribbon, with an attempt at a perfect ancient calligraphy. The result? "I'll read it later, darling." It was a poem. And he never really read it… Oops, got carried it away there (no, it has nothing to do with the fact that I ran into him today). Anyway, good thing for you guys, you can use this technique with us. I don't know about the others, but it really left a good impression on me yesterday! (well, yeah, Valentine is now on the 13th in Lebanon :p ).

Did I miss something here? Oh yes, do tell us that you love us from time to time ;-)

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

11 Comments:

At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 6:25:00 PM, Blogger nour said...

i strongly agree with the 3rd part...
when it comes to offering a gift [such a special one] i create [to a certain extent] all the parts myself so it tells a lot about me [i put a lot of myself in that thing], enough talking about me...
great post.
;-)

 
At Wednesday, February 15, 2006 10:04:00 PM, Blogger redpepper said...

hey thank you ....i havent bought "her" anything yet ...i know i know ..but i was dead sick :(
i never really thought about flowers....i always thought theyre too much expected ....too expected that i never bought flowers in my entire life (well i did kaza marra but i was with others ...lol) ..so i guess i;ll use that one .....w khalas....lol
shit her mom doesnt like me (not me, but the fact that i;m not from her sect ....and what even teases the mother the most is that i;m an atheist ....two problems that negate each other .....ffff ya zaman el ta2ifiyyi)
yalla
nice post eve,,,
PEACE

 
At Thursday, February 16, 2006 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bossi, I totally agree with you, it is just I won't mind a bunch of flowers to be sent to my office in the morning ya3ni...to make my day bas mesh aktar ;-)

 
At Thursday, February 16, 2006 4:02:00 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Come on Nerro, women don't want flowers sent to the office, just becoz they make their days.. it is a way to tell their colleagues: "Oh look, I'm adored!" :p (so the 10 points the guys earn in this case are becoz they made them feel superior ;)

Btw Neruda, remember to throw another hidden gift inside the bouquet. we love flowers, but we're not that much of angels. we want the real gift! (considering the fact that flowers should be a regular routine aslan)

 
At Saturday, February 18, 2006 3:41:00 AM, Blogger BeeJ said...

Valentines is so overrated, especially in Lebanon. We don't celebrate. Does anyone remember the days when tweety birds, trolls, and pacifiers were just all over the place? Well... thank god these days are over.

 
At Monday, February 20, 2006 12:54:00 PM, Blogger Maldoror said...

Well, I do not love you Eve but I do not hate you either :) As for Valentine's Day, well, Happy Valentine to you too :P Hope you it was fun :)

 
At Monday, February 20, 2006 10:11:00 PM, Blogger Eve said...

Beej,

so they originally took a small celebration of love and multiplied it by 100000... I don't mind :) it's not like they're promoting some degenerating ideas. Admit it, people who can't stand Valentine are either single, or don't want to be bothered with buying a gift :p

 
At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 4:18:00 AM, Blogger BeeJ said...

...or they simply aren't desperately looking for a cause or occasion to remind their significant others of how much feelings they have for them...and vice-versa.

 
At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 10:31:00 AM, Blogger Eve said...

based on that hypothesis, let's skip birthdays (we don't need to be reminded of the day we came to be; we're in a daily celebration of life), all the religious fiests (after all, we're constantly practicing giving and sharing & all that blah blah) & "honey, yeah, yeah, I love you; now, what's for dinner?"
:p

 
At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 7:28:00 PM, Blogger BeeJ said...

oh come on, you know what I am talking about!

 
At Tuesday, February 21, 2006 9:04:00 PM, Blogger Eve said...

just teasing :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home